Biobank La Fe
The Biobank La Fe, as CENTRALIZED SERVICE PLATFORM of the University and Polytechnic Hospital La Fe of Valencia was created with the aim of establishing links between donors, clinicians and researchers to enhance and ensure quality research, understood as a research developed respecting the rights of donors and under certain technical and organizational guarantees.
It is considered a leading hospital biobank both in the national and European territory, it stores/assumes and manages about 10,000 samples a year, to which 40 research groups have contributed. The samples managed by the Biobank La Fe are being requested for various studies, clinical trials and multicenter studies. Moreover, the Biobank participates in the creation and integral management of centralized sample collection such as that of the Spanish Group of Myelodysplastic Syndromes.
It belongs to the Spanish National Biobank Platform (ISCIII), it participates in international quality programs to guarantee transparency in its activities and it is the first Spanish biobank that has its own specialized External Ethics Committee (CEBCI).
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
Biobank La Fe is provided with more than 200 m2, with the possibility of expanding. Nowadays, this platform has: eleven freezers with their alarm systems, security, temperature monitoring and remote control, refrigerators with -20 freezers, refrigerated centrifuges, an extractor robot of nucleic acids (TECAN® & CHEMAGEN® ), DROPSENSE 96 (system of quantification and detection of pollutants), a fluorometer (GLOMAX Promega®), a sample management system, associated information and documentation, tanks of liquid N2 for cryopreservation of cells, spectrophotometers, electrophoresis tank, Scepter cell counter (MilliporeTM), among others.
• Lung adenocarcinoma
• Ovarian cortex
• Donor-recipient of Hematologic Neoplasms
• Breast cancer
• Ovarian cancer
• Clinical Trail GEM2012MAS65 (PETHEMA Group)
• Clinical Trail GEM11BELVELPRES (PETHEMA Group)
• Clinical Trail PENTA-BREATHER
• Multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders
• Twin samples
• Spanish Group for Myolodisplastic Syndromes (GESMD)
• Steatotic livers (healthy and steatotic liver tissue)
• Bronchoalveolar lavage (lung transplant)
• Multiple myeloma (IMMEnSE Consortium)
• Neonates – fetal tissue
• Hematological neoplasias (AML, ALL, MDS, Myeoloproliferative syndromes, Lymphoproliferative Syndromes, Multiple Myeloma, Fanconi Anemia…)
• Neurology (several disorders and pathologies)
• Reference population (healthy adult controls)
• MCC-Spain Project
• Adult rheumatology
• Disorders of sexual identity
• Eating disorders
• Neurodevelopmental disorders
• Dermatological tumors
• Neuroendocrine tumors (GETNE)
• Pediatric tumors
• Urology (most frequent cancers and other pathologies)
SERVICES AND EXPERTISSE
- Extraction of nucleic acids (DNA, RNA, microRNA) and proteins from various kinds of liquid samples or solid both "fresh" and fixed.
- Processing of biological samples of various nature (peripheral blood, bone marrow, cerebrospinal fluid, amniotic fluid, urine, tissue, ...)
- Isolation of PBMCs from peripheral blood and bone marrow by Ficoll gradient.
- Cell and tissue cryoperservation.
- Quality control programms.
- Precipitation / purification of nucleic acids.
- Whole genome amplification (WGA).
- Cell sorting.
- Conservation and custody of collections.
- Consulting / audit of management systems, statistical engineering, process engineering and quality.