Diagnostic and prognostic platform based on miRNAs
MicroRNAs or miRNAs are highly sensitive biomarkers as their expression levels vary across various pathological conditions.
The Institute Ramón y Cajal for Health Research (IRYCIS) has developed a pioneer miRNA platform to collaborate in the development and commercialization of new biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and drug response. As additional services, the IRYCIS can provide access to biobank samples and support on clinical validation design and management of clinical trials.
The research group have previous experience in the identification and validation of biomarkers for Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Kidney Disease and Cancer.
Sample preparation (RNA extraction and quantification)
- Total enriched RNA extraction in small RNAs (fresh or paraffin tissues, cells, serum, plasma, and other biological fluids)
- Analysis and quantification of RNA (NanoDrop and biochip)
Determination by qRT-PCR (LightCycler 480 SYBR green)
- RNA reverse transcription
- Real-time PCR (miRNA and shown in triplicate)
- Analysis of data using appropriate software
Specific detection of miRNAs by in situ hybridization
- Tissue processing (paraffin or OCT)
- Sample hybridization (DIG probes or fluorescence)
- Representative images by optical or fluorescence microscopy
Modulation of miRNA expression in cellular models
- Pre-miRs and anti-miRs transfection
- Overexpression and inhibition confirmation by qRT-PCR
Advantages and innovations
In addition to the use of the proprietary platform, the IRYCIS can provide support during the project design and execution
We provide access to biobank samples and scientific advice on study design, clinical trial management and data analysis.
Stage of development
Platform ready for its use in R&D projects.
Intellectual Property Rights
Know-how for miRNA detection platform is protected as trade secret.
A panel of biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis in patients with Acute Kidney Injury is protected by two patent families.