Endoscopic device for perineal access in rectum cancer
A research group from the Andalusian Public Health System (SSPA) has developed an endoscopic device specially designed for surgical rectum resection on cancer cases.
Surgical access for rectum resection is a complex process due to its anatomical location. This procedure can lead to morbidity and mortality cases, as well as various medical consequences affecting quality of life of the patient.
Currently, this surgical intervention is performed using an extralevator abdominoperineal excision technique (ELAPE) consisting in two phases:
- First phase taking place via abdomen and with the patient placed in a supine position (lying face up).
- Second phase via perineal with the patient placed in prone position (lying face down).
When using this technique there are some disadvantages as the need of changing patient´s position, implying risks for the patient and extending surgery time. Furthermore, once surgeon goes further and deeper on the area of intervention, visibility and accessibility problems arise. Altogether, this situation ends up on a higher risk of perforation of the rectum and tumor recurrence.
Trying to solve the above mentioned problems, our research group has developed the technique so called “ELPEe” technique (Extraelevator Perineal Endoscopic Excision) that takes place with patient in supine position. In addition this technique implies the use of an innovative endoscopic device that has been designed to access to the external area of the rectum.
- The ELPEe technique presented gets rid of the necessity of position changing performed to the patient while operating.
- It allows both phases, abdominal and perineal.
- Reduces surgery time.
- The proposed device provides better visibility and brightness of surgical area.
- Facilitate distal access.
- Rectum perforation risks are decreased, and as a result, tumor recurrence is also decreased.
Estado de protección
This technology is protected by Spanish Patent Application.
The group is looking for a license agreement exploitation and / or collaboration.
- En busca de codesarrolladores
- Health technology:
- Materiales y Dispositivos