Hospital equipment for immobilizing patients of radiotherapy.
IP Protection by utility model U 201031029 (granted 18/03/2011).
Immobilizer breast is designed to increase irradiation dose homogeneity and reduce radiation dose to healthy organs.
The device is indicated for patient immobilization (in prone position) in the case of breast cancer treatments with external radiotherapy. This immobilizer allows the breast affected falls to the ground by gravity, while healthy breast remains safe in the opposite side. Thus, irradiation fields can incidence with more precision to affected breast, decreasing dose and with fewer radiation that reach the heart and lung than in the supine position.
The main advantages of this invention are:
• Versatility: low height and customizable design that allows use in any TC.
• Horizontal design: immobilization in a comfortable position, thus facilitate reproducibility and reliability in placement of the patient daily.
• Resistance: designed to be manufactured in a rigid, resistant and human used certified material.
• Compatibility with radiotherapy: The materials used do not alter dosimetry or physical characteristics of the radiation beam.
• Economic: low cost of the materials used in their manufacture.
• Easy to handle and portable.