Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Fundación Jiménez Díaz
The Unit for Health Technology Innovation was created in 2013 as an interdisciplinary service supporting innovation management in the Institute. The Unit is headed by the Scientific Director (Dr. Carmen Ayuso) and Dr. Alberto Ortiz.
The Unit has an interdisciplinary team of innovative researchers from both basic and clinical realms. Together with the project-management staff and technology- and service-oriented personnel, these individuals seek to identify innovations in health technology within our institute and pursue collaboration agreements with academic, health, and industry partners.
The Unit's objectives are as follows:
- Foster a culture of innovation in our surroundings and in the health-care industry;
- Identify IIS-FJD researchers' ideas and inventions that may be turned into products and services so that these may be transferred to the market and benefit society and health as a whole;
- Support innovative projects in the health sciences;
- Facilitate the transfer of research results to the greater public, securing a return on these initiatives and improving quality care for patients. This entails supporting the innovative projects carried out, managing intellectual and industrial property, and transferring technology;
- Seek domestic and international collaboration agreements for R&D projects with stakeholders from the fields of science and technology, universities, and enterprise.
In pursuit of these goals, the Unit fulfills the following duties:
- Detection of ideas. Gathering of staff ideas and inventions so that they may be transferred to the market;
- Appraisal and protection: Determine the potential held by inventions and ideas, assessing the possible benefits of protecting them. Also, define the optimal ownership strategy and conduct a market assessment for each;
- Project management: When indicated by the market assessment, the project-maturity phase is begun. To do this, a development plan is set out, which includes a business plan, an operations plan, and a financial plan;
- Transfer of technology: Once the development and protection plans have been laid out, the technology, product, or knowledge is transferred to the market by means of a spin-off or an existing company;
- Promoting a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship: Information and training for health professionals on aspects of innovation and entrepreneurship through various initiatives. Content periodically uploaded to the web and Internet and the ASEBIO (Spanish Bioindustry Association) seminars.
Fundación Jiménez Díaz
Avda. Reyes Católicos, 2
Teléfono: 91 544 37 20 / 91 550 48 97